10 Summer Picture Books
Summer is a time to slow down for us because it gets really hot here in Oklahoma! The mornings have a slower start to them as we are on summer break from school. We get out early for errands, park or water play. And then we wait until the sun is about to go down to go out and water the garden and check on the flowers. It’s the perfect time to be in and spend the hot, mid-day hours reading summer picture books with the children!
“Each little flower that opens,
Each little bird that sings,
He made their glowing colours,
He made their tiny wings.”
Maker of Heaven and Earth, by Cecil Frances Alexander
Read, Rest, Enjoy Books
It’s really important to keep reading aloud to your children that can already read. It is a great time for family bonds to strengthen as you enjoy books together. The family culture that comes from sitting down or cuddling up together with good books really is irreplaceable. I already know that I will miss these days. We have so many picture books that I will be saving to enjoy with my grandchildren.
Tips to Help You Enjoy Reading to Your Children
One of the main things that helps me enjoy reading aloud to my children is finding books that I enjoying reading TO them! This includes making sure the illustrations are beautiful, the story is strong and not watered down with weak language… basically making sure the books you are reading are Living Books! It really does make a difference to read quality versus kiddy, twaddley books. Here is a list of ten of our favorite summer picture books to peruse during those sweet hours of the day where you are cooped up. I hope you enjoy them just as much as your kids!
10 Summer Picture Books to Enjoy Together
- When I Was Young on the Mountains : I love Cynthia Rylant! This story is beautiful and the illustrations are just old-timey and lovely.
- Miss Maple’s Seeds : One of the sweetest books! It is about Miss Maple and how she cares for the forgotten seeds at the end of summer.
- The Hot Day : This book is funny and the illustrations are sketched, which I think is great visually for my art-loving kids.
- Sunflower House : This is an informative but really imaginative books that teaches about growing sunflowers!
- We are the Gardeners : This is written by Joanna Gaines, and is a lovely story about family. The illustrations are so pretty!
- The Raft : This is one my kid’s favorite picture books! This story is really just good. I enjoy reading this story a lot!
- The Bee Tree : This book is such a fun summer read. It is about an adventure that involves tons of characters and community.
- Brambly Hedge Summer Story : The Brambly Hedge series written by Jill Barklem is just beautiful! The stories are sweet and imaginative, and the illustrations are dreamy. There is a book to compliment every season.
- The Little Gardener : Such a sweet story about a child persevering in his garden.
- How to Hide a Butterfly : Ruth Heller’s books are so good. The pictures are lovely and the story is informative but written really well.